Once the hard part of organizing and running a race is over, there is still one final task that may stump you — putting the results online!
These days participants and spectators expect to access race results at their fingertips. We are going to be using Keepthescore.com, a tool that makes publishing leaderboards online as simple as possible. Note that it does not connect to any external data sources — you must enter the data yourself. However, once your data has been added, it will be available as a stand-alone webpage that you can share publicly.
Keepthescore also makes it easy to update and edit your results once they have been published.
The race is done. What now?
Let's assume that the race is over and you have a list of all participants and their results. This will probably be in the form of a spreadsheet.
The steps that come next are:
- Create an online leaderboard
- Configure and style the leaderboard
- Share the leaderboard
Let's look at these steps in detail.
Creating a new online leaderboard
NOTE: We are currently working on an Excel upload feature. Till then, you will need to create a leaderboard manually.
- Hit the above button 👆, and fill in some basic info about your leaderboard.
- Enter the country names or athletes. To make it extra special, throw in some flag emojis 🇩🇪🇸🇪🇺🇦 for a splash of color.
- Click on "CREATE LEADERBOARD" and you will see your newly created leaderboard.
And voila, your leaderboard is ready to shine!
Configure and style your leaderboard
The leaderboard you just created is sorted from largest to smallest score. This is probably not what you want if you are publishing race results: you want the lowest time at the top!
To change the sorting:
- Click on SETTINGS
- Click on "Ranking and scores"
- Change the dropdown to "Lowest to highest"
- Click on "SAVE"
Keepthescore also offers numerous options for customizing the design of your leaderboard:
- Click on SETTINGS to upload a logo which will be shown above the leaderboard or to change the theme, font or custom background.
- There are many other customizable features in the settings menu, so feel free to explore and adjust them as you wish.
- If you want to upload images for each player (as shown above), click on the player's name in the leaderboard.
You can read more about what you can customize in the customization guide.
Please be aware that uploading images requires a paid membership!
Publish the leaderboard
The most important thing is sharing your leaderboard. This requires getting hold of the unique link which other people can use to view the results. The link will show a read-only version of your results, so that nobody else can change them.
To get the unique public link, click on the "PUBLISH" button. You will then see the dialog below:
Now click on "Share the public link" and follow the instructions. This will give you a link that you can send via WhatsApp, messenger or email. Everyone with the link will see the leaderboard, but will not be able to edit it!
There are also advanced options for sharing the results:
- You can also download the scoreboard as an image to include it in a document or presentation
- You can embed a live widget on your site that shows the leaderboard. Note that this requires a subscription to the "PRO" pricing tier
By the way, updating the leaderboard with new scores or participants is simple - just use the blue buttons next to each player to increase or decrease their scores.
Please give us feedback
Did you have any trouble following these instructions? Was something unclear? Do you have a question? If so, please leave a comment below.